I'll try to highlight some key points in the recording so that you can skip around to specific questions that interest you. Have a look below. Also, keep in mind that while playing the video, you can hit the gear icon on the bottom of the video and speed up the playback so you only have to listen to me for half as long if you'd like :).
- 1:30 - What is a Roth Conversion?
- 2:06 - What types of accounts can you convert?
- 2:25 - Who is eligible to convert?
- 2:54 - What is conventional wisdom about Roth Conversions?
- 3:17 - Reasons to consider converting
- 8:04 - When are some optimal times to convert?
- 9:35 - Other considerations (taxes, surcharges, beneficiary impacts, asset mix, longevity, goals for the money)
- 13:28 - Example article for discussion
- 15:13 - Examples illustrating the effects of large RMDs (required minimum distributions) at advanced ages
- 16:00 - Paying higher taxes early to lower cumulative taxes over lifetime
- 17:25 - What to know before you decide to convert
We hope you find this helpful and, as always, if it brings up some additional questions or leads you to believe we should dive deeper into your situation to see if this could make sense in your specific situation, please reach out. We're always happy to help.